Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dear Nephews


Dear Will, Gordon, Hayden, James, Mason, Ben and Henry,

As my gift to you, I offer these words. It is my hope that it will spare you from taking the entire curriculum at The School of Hard Knocks.

You should know in advance that this book is not about how to succeed financially… it’s not about how to have an easy life… it’s not about how to be popular, or cool. It is simply a compilation of things I’ve learned in my life from my father, my friends, and through experience.

If I wanted to write you my thoughts on how to succeed financially, I could do it with these few words: Be ruthless, make no friends, and focus entirely on the pursuit of money.

If I wanted to write you my thoughts on how to have an easy life, I could do it with these few words: Go with the flow, and don’t get involved.

And if I wanted to write you my thoughts on how to be popular and cool, I’d say simply: Go along with the crowd… don’t make waves… spend your money on clothes and cars… and always agree with whomever you’re around.

But that’s not the point of this book.

So why write a book if it’s not to tell you how to be rich, popular, or cool? Because there’s a lot more to being a man than those things. Because being a man is very, very hard. Because many, many people in our country dislike and fear males who act like men, so they’ll tell you lies about what being a man is. And because one day you will be old… in fact, you may even die one day. And when that happens, I want you to leave this world like my Dad did… comfortable with his life and the battles he fought, and aware that -if nothing else- he served as a good example to those around him.

That’s the most we can hope for, and the best that we can be.





Love,
Uncle Lowe

No comments:

Post a Comment